Friday, January 8, 2010

Fan Dub? What's a Fan Dub?

Recently, my girlfriend and I have been arguing about whether or not to get a dog. She wants one, and I don't. But that doesn't stop us from discussing possible dog names. If we do get a dog, and it's a boy, we'll name him Garbageman. No dispute. Tonight, my girlfriend brought the dog subject up again, and suggested Ursula as a name for a female dog. The name is inspired by the sea witch from The Little Mermaid, which got me thinking. "What about Prince Eric?", I suggested. She told me that the name seemed a little bit "gay". Well, so what if my dog is gay, this is fucking San Francisco.

From there, I decided to Google "Prince Eric" and here's what I found.

1. Artist renderings of Prince Eric as a hunky underwear model.



2. A Youtube "Fan Dub" featuring scenes from the Little Mermaid. I had no idea what a "fan dub" was, but quickly ascertained that it is a video in which a fan records themselves mimicking and reciting the dialogue from a movie, and over-dubbing the new audio it into the original scene. This type of activity must be the monomaniacal work of an asexual, linguistically gifted, autistic adult. Obsession and other associated disorders can be amazing things when focused properly.



No comments: