Sunday, February 7, 2010

Skateboarding

Anybody else notice that skateboarding has been picking up steam again? I'm seeing more and more people skating in the past few months. Personally, I never learned to do anything more than stand on a board and roll down a slight incline, but that hasn't done anything to hinder my appreciation for the sport/act of rebellion.



This morning, while holed up in one of the design studios at school, I looked out the window and saw a bunch of teenagers across the street doing their thing on their skateboards. They moved along pretty quickly and were gone as suddenly as they had arrived. 30 minutes later, I heard the sickening sounds of children frolicking, and I looked out the window. The area where the skaters had been hanging out only half an hour prior was now overrun with a small mob of thirty-something yuppie parents and their attendant brats. I was genuinely upset to see them there!

Thankfully, they moved on after a few minutes. Before they left, I had to laugh to myself as I realized that the way I reacted to the presence of those families (in comparison to the way I felt about the skateboarders) pretty much ran counter to the way that most normal people would have felt about the situation.